Saturday, April 11, 2015

Unfortunate circumstances

Unfortunately, in Janurary of 2015, our flock caught Avian Influenza from the wild mallards that landed in our field every night.  They all had to be euthanized.  The USDA was very helpful and caring with both my family and all the birds.  It has been a tough thing to go through, but we are surviving.  I cannot go through this heartache again, so I have decided to retire from raising any birds for right now.  I have gotten 2 mini-donkeys and am raising a huge garden this year for new hobbies.  I miss my birds very much but I do not mind continuing to answer questions and give advice about raising birds. I wish you all the best of luck with your birds!

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry to read this. I know losing my poultry flocks would be devastating and I don't think I'd be bringing home any new poultry for awhile after that.


    I had a lady from the eastern side of our state e-mail me and tell me to keep my ducks penned in , apparently someone there lost all their birds for the very same reason you did. So sorry.

    On the bright side, mini-donkeys and a garden are wonderful ways to indulge in your love of livestock and farming ! How exciting for you.

    ReplyDelete